Sunday 5 July 2009

The Dave Monk Ten foot glider flies again.

The glider was now ready for its true maiden flight off the hill and it did not disappoint.
Dave Monk was the original builder of this glider - I tried to find out about the gentleman and his model via the SADMAC club. Although I made contact by phone and email and was told they would get back in touch no further information was forthcoming - A shame because I understand Dave Monk was a force to be reckoned with in his day - and was a member of that club...
His name is still inscribed on the gliders wing - and there it will stay.

The thermals and sink were very strong when I flew it for the first time at Detling on Friday 3rd July and even with the one Metre x 12mm thick carbon spar fixed into the wing you could see the wings flexing.
The glider has an excelent speed range and does not tip stall - till after you think it should have done so - nice.
I hope I can keep it in one piece long enough to do Dave Monk justice - lightning man might strike me down otherwise...


3 comments:

slipperywhenwet said...

Looks good Pete and you enjoyed it nice one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave - it was nice to fly.

Anonymous said...

bit of a life story but great vid pete :)