Saturday 30 March 2013

Oleos Wanted.

Long shot - Looking for two steel (tatty as hell) sprung oleos at around 120mm to take a fair weight - Someone just might have two of them in the bottom of a box. I am going to cut and mod them so I am not worried about how they look as long as the suspension functions - please let me know a price and I will make that old box a bit lighter for you next time you get it out....
In case your wondering what I am after them for its for the project below - she is a very old lady who I am now trying to make look a lot younger again by getting out all the old "prangs" and botched repairs done over many years together with the most awful paint job which also has a nice coat of yellowing pickling varnish making her wrinkles look so much older than she actually is... You can see here that the camera lies well. Will keep you all updated as work goes on at full steam.
http://youtu.be/DsvUkjjmIHs  Thanks for digging into that box if bits...
Regards Peter.

4 comments:

Dave Redwood said...

Hi Pete, sorry no Oleos but did you happen to come across that old girl on a well known auction site?
Looks exactly the same as the one that myself and Mark Aplin were watching but it looked way too much of a handful for me.
Lots of detailing, look forward to seeing her up close.

Broken Wing said...

Hi Dave - It was the one you were watching. Needs lots of tender care to get it back in the air again. Glad I did not pay anymore for it which is the trouble with that site - the camera can lie about its condition - but still it will be an excelent project. Fitting 4 new engines + servo's. I want to do something on suspension for the old girl as she has none at all but if I can get some old oleos I might be able to help the old girl over the bumps at our field... Fingers crossed.

Dave Redwood said...

Good luck with the project Pete and I hope you manage to find some oleos.
Funny thing about that plane - with the era, its old style quirkiness, and being a biplane I said to Mark that you would probably like it in your hangar.
Hope you're going to post some progress pics on the blog and let us know when its ready for maiden, would love to see it

Broken Wing said...

Managed to obtain a damaged pair of Oleo's - which also had parts missing...
Many thanks to Mark Owen for kindly repairing them for me.
Thanks Mark - saved me yet again. Peter