Wednesday 28 March 2012

Ben Buckle - Matador - Electric Power

This is the history of the Model in Mikes words - From RCM&E entry...
In the 1970's my nephew built a Matador which we eventually flew at Epsom Downs Racecourse but I could only keep it in the air with full left rudder. Eventually it piled-in just a few yards from us and I can well remember the explosion of balsa wood. All was not lost because my nephew (Nigel) acquired another Matador fuselage from a friend and the plane was re-built with my new OS 10 RC up front - it flew very well at Croydon Airport with throttle and rudder only control but on one flight it got caught in a thermal and my Nephew attempted to 'spiral it out' with full rudder which caused the wings to fold up! Some days later having driven to my nephew's house I spotted the wrecked Matador poking out of the dustbin on his driveway so I retrieved it and stuck it in my loft. It stayed in my loft for about 30 years but a couple of years ago I decided to convert it for electric flight. Would the darn thing fly - This is the final result...
I made this video to record the event & see Mike smile...

4 comments:

Portly Dave said...

pete your such an old softie but a thouroghly nice bloke too

Broken Wing said...

Not so much of the "Old".

mike etheridge said...

Great video Pete,its made a good impression with the RCM&E personnel. I think you are creating new standards of excellence with your cameras so I had better repair another old clanger!How about a Veron Mini-Concord?

MJE

Broken Wing said...

Torture...